Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Dr. Bigelow performs the following Cosmetic and General Dentistry procedures at his Salt Lake City, Utah dental office.
General Dentistry Procedures:
- Oral Examination / Dental Screening – The oral examination includes an inspection of the hard and soft tissues of your mouth. The hard and soft tissues include the teeth, gums, top and sides of the tongue, and inner lining of the cheeks. The examination is painless and takes about 5 to 7 minutes. The depth of the pockets is recorded on your dental chart.
- X-Rays – Dr. Bigelow or a dental hygienist takes x-rays of the mouth to document the condition of your teeth. Children seldom need x-rays before the age of five.
- Teeth Cleaning – Teeth cleaning can be performed either by Dr. Bigelow or a dental hygienist. During the teeth cleaning procedure, harmful plaque and tartar both above and below the gum line are removed.
- Tooth Fillings – Tooth fillings are the most common, most effective, and least expensive restorative method for preventing tooth loss. If a cavity is detected in a tooth, Dr. Bigelow may need to drill into the tooth to remove the decay. Fillings are used to “fill” the hole in the tooth made by Dr. Bigelow after the removal of tooth decay. This helps re-strengthen the tooth.
- Gum Treatment – Gum treatment is the treatment of active periodontal (gum) disease. Gum disease refers to any condition in which bacteria attack the gum and bone tissues that surround and support teeth. Gum tissue and bone can be destroyed, resulting in tooth loss.
- Root Canal Therapy – Root canal therapy may need to be performed when the nerve of a tooth becomes irreversibly infected or abscessed (pocket of infection at the base of the root). A tooth can become abscessed as a result of deep decay, cracks, or trauma to the tooth. This is usually caused by the infiltration of bacteria into the center-most part of the tooth (called the pulp). Root canal therapy is the only procedure that can save the tooth.
- Dental Sealants – Dental Sealants are plastic materials that coat the biting surfaces of the teeth. Sealants can be used as a good preventive measure because the plastic coating creates a barrier between the tooth and decay-causing bacteria that can be found in plaque. The dental sealant makes it more difficult for plaque to stick to the tiny grooves on the biting surfaces of the teeth. This will reduce the risk of forming cavities and tooth decay.
- Tooth Extraction – Extraction is the complete removal of a tooth. Extraction is the only alternative if root canal therapy is unsuccessful. Extractions may also be recommended prior to orthodontic treatment. (see orthodontics)
- Dental Advice – Dr. Bigelow or a dental hygienist may provide you with special instructions on brushing, flossing, and good oral hygiene, emphasizing areas of the mouth that have significant plaque and tartar buildup.
For questions about dentistry procedures, please contact Dr. Bigelow today. Dr. Bigelow offers a variety of cosmetic dental procedures to patients in the Cottonwood Utah area.